Graduate facultyGraduate Faculty Roster
Dissertation committee composition
Ph.D. dissertation committees have the following characteristics (departments/programs may have additional requirements):
- The committee consists minimally of four members. If there are co-chairs, the committee consists of five members.
- At least two committee members must be from the student's home department/program.
- The committee chair must hold a graduate faculty appointment in the home unit. If there are co-chairs, at least the one from the home unit holds a graduate faculty appointment.
- At least one member, in addition to the chair, must hold a graduate faculty appointment.
- The committee must have an external member who:
- Broadens the dissertation committee beyond the home program to represent a different perspective by virtue of their field, location or knowledge application
- Does not hold any salaried or contractual appointment, tenure line or retreat rights in the home program
- Is familiar with the standards for doctoral research
The department or program's graduate director ensures that members of dissertation and oral examination committees hold appropriate graduate faculty appointments.
Purpose of graduate faculty appointments
The focus of graduate faculty appointments is on directing and guiding the dissertation research of Ph.D. students. Graduate faculty appointments are available only in units offering graduate academic programs, and faculty members should seek graduate faculty appointments in their home units. Faculty in units without graduate academic programs ordinarily do not need these appointments. A graduate faculty appointment in the home unit allows service on the dissertation committee in another unit, provided the other unit has approved such service.
- Direct doctoral dissertations
- Serve on the Graduate Council
- Be eligible for nomination for the Distinguished Graduate Faculty Award
Appointment criteria include:
- Ph.D. or other earned terminal degree in the field of appointment or closely-related field
- Evidence of peer-reviewed scholarly achievement in the last four years
- Faculty appointment within unit
- If faculty in units without graduate academic programs are asked to co-direct a student's dissertation, they should seek a graduate faculty appointment through the student's unit.
Appointment term: five years
- The program prepares a Graduate Faculty Appointment Recommendation form and attaches the nominee's current signed and dated professional record.
- The chair evaluates the nominee's credentials, signs the form and submits it with the professional record to the dean of the school/college.
- The dean reviews, signs the form and submits the packet to the Graduate School
- The dean of the Graduate School makes the final decision on the appointment.
- The Graduate School's roster of graduate faculty is updated periodically.
- Questions? Contact the Graduate Council Office at 313-577-8050.
Foundational principles of graduate faculty criteria
Minimum criteria: The Graduate School Criteria Statement summarizes the minimum criteria required for appointment to graduate faculty. Units may include additional criteria.
Research and scholarship productivity indicators: Quality research/scholarship is foundational to graduate education. Although research productivity may be evidenced in various ways, publication in refereed professional journals, books and monographs, juried/reviewed performance in the arts, and receipt of external grants are nationally accepted indicators for most disciplines. It is also a nationally accepted principle that faculty members should themselves have demonstrated research proficiency and be at the forefront of their fields in order to direct Ph.D. dissertation research.
Peer review: The best measure of a faculty member's research/scholarship proficiency and the mastery of current methodology is for their work to be accepted for publication or funding, having successfully undergone peer review.
Currency of research and scholarship: Since the knowledge base and research methodology within a discipline are subject to continual expansion, currency in research involvement is also required of faculty engaged in directing graduate student research. Faculty whose own work is on the frontiers of research can lead the student into productive and publishable areas of discovery. It is understood that the frequency of publication will vary among disciplines; however, an active research program should result in at least three refereed publications every four years.
Purpose of criteria statements: The dean of the Graduate School is ultimately responsible for appointments to graduate faculty, and the Academic Standards Committee (formerly Credentials Committee) of the Graduate Council serves as the primary advisory body to the dean on graduate faculty issues. The purpose of the Criteria Statement is to provide guidance in the decision-making process.
Clarity of standards: The Criteria Statement should be viewed as a clear expression of expectations for faculty interested in attaining graduate faculty appointments and does not attempt to accommodate every possible contingency. It is recognized that, on occasion, some exceptions to policy may be appropriate, including considerations related to tenure and promotion practices. With suitable documentation, such exceptions may be granted.
Appeal Process for Denied Appointments
- Department Chair or Dean submits appeal memo
- Academic Standards Committee rewiews the CV
- The case will be presented by two members of Academic Standards to the full committee
- Department chair or designee is invited to be present to provide context
- Academic Standards Committee votes
- Majority of voting members required to approve
- Committee members from the same department must recuse themselves; others may recuse themselves if they feel conflicts of interest are present
- Decision relayed with memo identifying the criterion/criteria that are ground for non-renewal
- Faculty may reapply for reinstatement of graduate faculty status upon substantive changes in the criteria identified