Incoming postdocs

Welcome! The information below will get you started at Wayne State and in exploring Detroit.

International postdocs

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) is responsible for providing assistance on immigration matters and for acting as a link with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and the Department of State. Their website also lists a number of resources and comparative charts of different visa types, as well as a guide for hiring staff on different visas. Additionally, the paperwork associated with visas varies, so it is a good idea to check with the international office on current processing time for visa applications or renewals for a specific visa type from your country.

If you are planning to travel overseas for a conference or vacation, please check with these offices prior to leaving to determine what paperwork you might need in order to re-enter the United States.


Postdoctoral visas are handled first by the department and then by the OISS. If you are an international postdoctoral scholar and need to apply for or renew your visa, discuss your visa options with your principal investigator (PI) and provide them with all necessary documentation required for the departmental administrator to begin the visa process. Please note that it might be important to know of any tax treaties that the United States has with your home country prior to accepting your appointment and applying for a visa.


Be realistic in determining how much money you will need to bring with you for living expenses while you are waiting to receive your first paycheck, which could take approximately four to five weeks. You will need cash for food, housing and basic necessities. You may also need to factor in car/transport fare, and entertainment and deposits for housing and utilities.


Detroit Metropolitan Airport is located in Romulus, Michigan, about 22 miles (35km) southwest of Detroit.

Check with your PI to see if someone is picking you up at the airport, and remember to give the name of your airline/train/bus, its number, time and place of arrival. If no one is meeting you, take a look at DTW transportation services to arrange your own transport. On average, the cost of a taxi/cab is $40.

Sending packages ahead of arrival: Contact the department you are planning to join to obtain their mailing address for any letters or packages you might like to send ahead of arrival. Be sure to have them addressed with your name.

On campus

Wayne State University currently offers two complimentary campus shuttles that allow you to get from one side of campus to the other by simply showing your OneCard. Shuttles, 15-passenger vans, run from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, and signs are posted at each stop. Service runs continuously in approximately 15-minute intervals and is labeled "Main Campus Shuttle."  The shuttle route and trackin app are available on the WSU Parking website.

The DMC provides a continuous central campus loop shuttle transporting to central campus hospitals (south of Warren ave). The Shuttle Service operates from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Off campus

Upon arrival

Meet your department's administrative assistant. The department you are joining will provide you with all the paperwork necessary to get into the university system.

The department will direct you to WSU Human Resources to facilitate your onboarding with the university to orient you regarding university HR policies, procedures and employee benefits. Download the new hire checklist to be sure you complete all the necessary paperwork and orientations.

Campus map


You will need to make housing arrangements prior to arrival.

On campus: WSU graduate or faculty housing may be able to assist you. You may request that your PI have someone pick up the keys and have them available for you.

Off campus: Other resources to search for apartments include,, and offers a specialized rental propterty search tool exclusively for Wayne State University students and postdocs. 


There are many places to look for assistance in finding childcare. However, most centers run pretty full and you might find it advantageous to place your name on a waiting list prior to arrival. Check with the center directly via email or ask your prospective department or PI for assistance in contacting the center. 

Public Safety

WSU Police emergency number is 313-577-2222.

Other useful information to get you started

OneCard: OneCard is the official Wayne State University identification card for students, faculty, staff and other members of the university community. You can use your OneCard to access or pay for services at Wayne State. The OneCard Center is located at The Welcome Center, 42 W. Warren, 313-577-CARD. Your OneCard is also useful in getting discounts at a number of places in and around Detroit. 

Building access: Entry to most research buildings in the School of Medicine requires activation of your OneCard. Access Card Application form must be completed and signed by the appropriate people in your department. 

Training modules: Most departments require mandatory completion of radiation safety, bioethics, animal handling, health and lab safety training programs offered by the university. Additional information can be found at the Institutional Animal Use and Care Committee (IACUC) and Human Investigation Committee (HIC) websites.

The Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) course is required for all postdoctoral scholars.