The Graduate School offers several scholarship opportunities and awards specifically for master's students when funds are available. See below. The Heberlein Teaching Award is also open to master's students who have teaching responsibilities at the university.
- Recruitment/Retention/Completion Scholarships
These partial scholarships from the Graduate School are granted to WSU schools and colleges to recruit and retain outstanding master's students. Nominations are made by the departments and programs to their schools and colleges, which then submit nominations for review and approval by the Graduate School.
- Workforce Development Scholarship
The Workforce Development scholarship is geared at supporting working students. Wayne State University will match the funds of employer contribution to tuition reimbursement.
Students who receive Workforce Development scholarships usually receive notification approximately one month prior to the start of the upcoming semester. Workforce Development scholarship funding is available in all semesters. Contact your department for details.
Workforce Development scholarships are determined by the department. To see if you are eligible, please check with your Graduate Director in your respective academic department.
The following college/schools award Workforce Development Scholarships:
- Mike Ilitch School of Business
- College of Engineering
- School of Information Science
- Dean's Merit Scholarship
The Graduate School awards scholarships to international students entering two-year master's degree programs after completing a three-year bachelor's or diploma program in another country. Students may receive up to $3,000 per semester towards their studies.
- Recipients of the Dean's Merit Scholarship must be enrolled in at least eight credit hours in the semester in which the award is granted.
- Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher to maintain or renew the scholarship.
- The Dean's Merit Scholarship is available to students from select international universities that have articulation agreements with Wayne State University.
Dean's Merit Scholarship awards are determined by the academic department. Decisions are generally announced one month prior to the upcoming semester by the department.
Before applying for or accepting any scholarship or fellowship, please consult with WSU Financial Aid regarding how such an award may affect your financial aid package, including loan eligibility.