Grade and academic appeals procedures

Grade appeal procedures

Students should first seek to settle grade disputes informally with the instructor. The dean's office of each school/college has established formal grade appeal procedures. Links to these procedures are also available on the Office of the Provost website. In most instances, formal grade appeals must be filed within 30 days of the time the student has or should have received their final grade.

Academic appeal procedures

For academic appeals, such as an appeal of program dismissal, Ph.D. students should follow the same basic procedures as for grade appeals. Links to these procedures are available on the Office of the Provost website. In matters where a college's signed final decision is based upon the evaluation of a student's academic performance, and when review procedures available to a student within the college have been exhausted, the student may request a provost review of that decision. Ph.D. student appeals that rise to the level of the Office of the Provost will be handled by Associate Dean Sharon F. Lean in the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School. Any request for review must include a copy of the original appeal and the decision from the college, and may include supporting documentation as well as any additional arguments the student wishes to be taken into consideration. The Graduate School review of the college's decision will proceed as soon as practicable after notification by the student of their wish to seek review.

For assistance with the appeal process, students may contact Laura Birnie-Lindemann at the Ombuds Office,