Dissertation format and publishing
Dissertation preparation and format check
Advisors have primary responsibility for approval of the dissertation, and the advisory committee members also must read, approve, and sign the manuscript. Such approval includes all academic and professional evaluations and judgments as to originality*, adequacy, accuracy, significance, methodology, conclusions and correctness of style.
*Additional instructions for SafeAssign originality reports are in the Final Defense Procedures.
The dissertation manuscript format — margins, spacing, pagination, page layout, parts and their order — must conform to Graduate School specifications. Approval of the manuscript format is a degree requirement.
Graduate School dissertation format approval process
Two weeks before the Final Defense, the dissertation manuscript must be submitted to the Graduate School for format approval.
- Submit the manuscript as a PDF file to the Electronic Thesis/Dissertation (ETD) Administrator website of ProQuest/UMI. (This is the same site to which the final version of the dissertation will be submitted.)
- First create an account on the ETD website and follow the prompts to create a profile.
- When prompted by the ETD system, upload the dissertation manuscript as a PDF file.
- Publishing Agreement: The ETD system will require a publishing agreement – this is mandatory. There is an additional option to copyright the dissertation. While not required, the copyright option is recommended. (Note that the option to copyright must be chosen in the initial set-up of the ETD account. Should you decide later to copyright, a new account will need to be made.)
- Please Note: Although completion of the Publishing Agreement is required at the time the dissertation is submitted for the initial format check, the dissertation manuscript will not be submitted to ProQuest/UMI by the Graduate School until the defense has been held, all revisions have been made and the Graduate School receives the dissertation's signed title page.
Graduate School staff will check the manuscript and notify the candidate of either "changes required" or "manuscript accepted."
- Any required format changes may be made immediately and resubmitted, OR the changes may be submitted after the Final Defense, incorporating any revisions to the content as requested by committee members.
Please note: A "manuscript accepted" notice during the format check means that the ETD system will automatically prevent further submissions. To enable submission of a revised final manuscript, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any format corrections and revisions stemming from the defense, must be submitted by the completion deadline established for the semester. See deadlines.
Archiving and disseminating the published dissertation or thesis
Wayne State University Libraries maintains electronic copies of students' dissertations and theses on DigitalCommons@WSU. The level of access granted to the Wayne State research community and general public can be managed by completing the permission form on the University Libraries website.
Binding the dissertation
Students wishing to have their dissertations bound should use a professional bindery service.
Bohemio Bookbindery provides dissertations bound in the Wayne State University standard format or custom bound in any style desired. Genuine leather bindings also available. Ordering information