First, read tips for writing a compelling personal statement and how to obtain meaningful letters of recommendation.
Upload unofficial copies of academic transcripts from all post-secondary educational institutions and any graduate-level coursework beyond a bachelor's degree to your application. International applicants must upload unofficial (copies) translated transcripts/mark sheets with courses and grades. Current WSU students may upload a copy of your "unoffical" transcript from Academica.
The graduate application fee is $50 and is non-refundable. This fee does not apply to MIGS, graduate non-degree or graduate guest applications. The application fee is due when you submit your application. Once paid, the application fee is valid for four consecutive terms should you choose to reapply to the same or another program.
Application fee waivers
The following categories qualify for an application fee waiver. Please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions if you are unsure whether you are eligible. If you are eligible, you must submit a fee waiver request with each application. Applicants who have already paid the application fee may not request an application fee waiver or an application fee refund.
Alumni and current undergraduates
WSU alumni and current WSU undergraduate student in a degree seeking program who have applied for graduation. The application fee will be waived electronically within 24 hours of submitting your application. There is no need to contact us.
WSU current employees
Please send an email with your WSU department, title and access ID.
For spring/summer 2020 and fall 2020 applicants, please upload your proof of affiliation letter/form to your application in Additional documents and send an email to email@example.com with Application Fee Waiver in the subject line. For applicants to the winter 2021 term and beyond, please follow the instructions contained within the online application.
- Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity (BUILD)
- Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS)
- Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD)
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair)
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Post-Baccalaureate Research and Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP)
- TeachDETROIT and DPD Leadership Academy, please have your program contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Service and volunteer-based (current or alumni)
For non-military fee waivers, a letter (or form) from your organization (on the organization's letterhead) verifying your participation in the program along with your dates of participation is required.
Need-based* (must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident)
- *DACA and undocumented applicants, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for supporting materials.
- Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) on Student Aid Report (SAR) cannot exceed $5,000. A copy of your current SAR is required.
Graduate School events
If you attend select on-campus recruitment events hosted by the Graduate School (such as Fall Open House), your application fee will be waived if you submit an application while at the event.
Submit supplemental items
All supplemental application materials required by your academic program must be submitted through the application system. All credentials and/or documents you submit should contain your full name, WSU Access ID, or date of birth. Lack of this information may cause a delay in processing your application. Please notify the Office of Graduate Admissions if the name you provided prior to enrollment changes.
All materials submitted during the application process become the property of the university and will not be returned to the applicant.
Request official transcripts
A complete academic record includes credentials that indicate all courses of study completed and degrees or certificates earned at the collegiate level. Secondary school records are not required when applying for graduate study.
If your college or university uses Clearinghouse or Parchment, you can have your transcript(s) sent electronically. Check with the registrar of your institution to find out if transcripts can be sent electronically via one of these services. The school code for sending official transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admissions is 1898. Electronic transcripts will be accepted if they are delivered securely from the registrar of the issuing institution directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Request official domestic transcripts be delivered electronically to email@example.com. Wayne State University official transcripts will be automatically generated for students and alumni who have already earned a degree. If you are a current student and have a degree-in-progress, please upload an unofficial transcript to your application. Submit official (paper) transcripts to:
Wayne State University
Office of Graduate Admissions
5057 Woodward Ave., Suite 6000
Detroit, MI 48202
International applicants, please visit International Applicants and review the Verification of Academic Records (Official Transcript) section for information on sending an official transcript.
Check your application and admission status
You may submit required documents and check the status of your application by logging in to the application status page with your temporary username and password. Forgot your login credentials? We can resend them to you.
- It is not possible to change the term and program of your application once it has been submitted.
- Because applications are specific to the initial program and term selected, you must submit a new application reflecting any additional programs and terms for which you would like to be considered.
- Only previously submitted official documents (i.e., transcripts and test scores) will be transferred to your new application.
Automated emails notifying you that documents (e.g., official transcripts, test scores, etc.) have been added to your application will be sent as they are uploaded.